Ginapea

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Ch ch ch changes

First, a shout out to the folks of whom the above title reminds me: high school friend Jenny, who was always a huge Bowie fan and could be counted upon to recite any Bowie lyric you might need...and Wa, who on occasion uses that to title an email announcing some change or other. at the office

But back to those changes...

At age 24, I changed my life.

I broke off contact with my dad, to save my sanity. I have many many fond memories of times with Dad--we are a lot alike in many ways--but the strong overlay of racism/homophobia/sarcasm/judgement/narcissism was just too much to continue taking. And there was no way I would ever heal from childhood wounds without the distance and separation.

I left my husband. Joe was a good friend and I loved him so, so much. We were a bit enmeshed. But he couldn't handle anything emotionally messy and boy howdy, that's what I was.

I moved back to the city.

I went back to therapy. Dr H, you rock. And you saved my life.

I began making preparations to return to school, though I didn't actually get there full time for another two years.

And in the midst of all this, started a relationship with (now) Hubby. Not the best timing but probably couldn't have done it all without his support.

Where I found the courage to do all this, I don't know. But thank God I did, or who knows where/who I would be.

I am ever grateful to who and where I am now. Great friends, Hubby and Sam, the most phenomenol job ever, a great house in the city, no depression!, eating disorder in remission, faith and my own personal angel Emily, it goes on and on. I am truly fortunate and blessed.

Just feeling fine!

3 Comments:

At 8:43 PM, Blogger Andrew McAllister said...

As I surf through the blogs, I come across plenty of rants and hard luck stories. I much prefer yours! (And as for the stay-at-home husband thing, could you talk to my wife? :o)

To Love, Honor and Dismay
-

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger cole edwards said...

Dearest Gina,

kiss to you soul sista.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger jackie said...

Sometimes you have those watershed years and nothing is ever the same. Congratulations to you for making your own way through.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
(Random Site)