Ginapea

Sunday, April 08, 2007

News: the bad, the good

School news
So the bad news:
Sam didn't get a spot at the charter school. He is #18 on the wait list!
Which means he'll stay at his current school for kindergarten, to the tune of over $5000. Ouch.

The good news:
His current school is really fantastic (except for the uber-whiteness of it). He's THRILLED to be staying there, especially since two of his three closest friends at school are also staying (the other is moving out of state).

I'm quite happy for the charter school that they had so many applicants! I just hope we can get a first grade spot next year.

We were leaning toward keeping him at current school anyway, so it's nice to have the decision made for me in a way. The main reason being that public kindergartens in general have LOOOONG days: this particular school has four 7-hour days and one 5-hour day. Much too long for Sam. Instead, he will have three 5.5 hour days and two 3-hour days. Much more reasonable.

Work news
Bad news: One of my staff left. Another one leaving in 2 weeks. Another maybe moving to Michigan over the summer. Another interviewing for a position I hope to G-d she doesn't take.

Good news: Unlike the usual year-long search for one semi-decent applicant, I have actually interviewed THREE people who I think would be excellent. (Now if the friggin HR department would ever finish their references so we could actually OFFER the positions, that might help.) Actually that would be four, but I am not counting the most recent woman because she will never accept a position with us, considering her current job pays her a ridiculous amount of money for her education level. Like more than I make as a manager with a graduate degree, an advanced clinical license and over 10 years of experience. But to be fair, her job sounds like a small hell so I am sure that is the only way her employer can keep any staff. Her job sounds wicked frustrating and more than a bit dangerous.

Other news
Bad:
My grandmother's dementia is rapidly worsening. I am now managing her medical care, medications, and much of her financial issues.

We are financially fucked. Debt beyond debt, kindergarten tuition upcoming, etc etc. It could of course be much worse, but the stress of it is REALLY getting to me.

The combination of caring for my grandmother and Sam, work, money, chronically ill Hubby, etc. is making me feel as if I am inside a pressure cooker. Having many IBS attacks.

Good:
Sam rocks. Love him.

I went to the gym last Sunday! Did 40 minutes on the treadmill and it wasn't bad at all. I really wanted to swim after but the pool was closed for some maintenence issue. My biggest issue was that my workout shoes are too tight--haven't worn them since I was pregnant, and my feet are about a half size bigger now.

Raised enough $ for my jump!

Sam now playing lacrosse. This is a very amusing spectacle. Protecting the goal? For 5 year olds, this means literally filling the goal with teammates.

Sam is also taking real gymnastics classes. They are expensive, but he loves them. He's also doing PT now along with the OT.


Still working on a post about my own educational experiences, inspired by Jackie's postings MONTHS ago. Someday, people, you might actually get to read it!

5 Comments:

At 6:58 PM, Blogger jackie said...

I'm sorry to hear about the charter school. Nadine (you know her, right?) is right there on the waitlist with you. Better luck next time? We were considering keeping the girls at their current school for K also before our impending move, and it is truly a great option to have, though pricey.

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother also. My grandparents had similar issues. It's such a heavy load to bear. You are in my thoughts.

 
At 11:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest G....goodness gracious.

kisses and hugs to you.xxoo

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger MamaNiger said...

Gina -- give me your email address so i can email you the details of the new house. Or just ask Debbi or Cole they can give you the address. I'm so excited to be moving to the neighborhood and have an immediate connection to a great group of mamas. You'll have to come over for tea after I move in (the 31st of May).

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger MamaNiger said...

P.S. sorry about not getting into the charter school. I'm not looking forward to tackling the school search battle but I still have a year. Are you trying to get into PP charter too?

 
At 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

.. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
(Random Site)