Ginapea

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Say goodnight

So we took Ike to the vet this morning, and indeed we are at the end. We decided to bring him home so that Sam could say goodbye. Now we are waiting.

I will miss Ike's nightly "hunts," which involve incessant yowling as he struts around the house, sometimes for five minutes, sometimes for 20. Years ago he hunted pizza menus during this process. For the past few years it's been his "sock," a very ratty sock-like cat toy. It is difficult to convey how loud this yowling can get. Like where-did-he-get-a-microphone loud. Before Sam was born, and our hours became more unpredictable, he would "close up shop" every night while we prepared for bed. One night when I was pregnant we stayed up until 4 a.m., watching a movie. After about 1 a.m., Ike strolled through the room every 20 minutes or so, giving us the evil eye and doing the cat version of harumphing. Apparently he couldn't retire until we did. He was not pleased.

Soon my nights will be far too quiet, for my little lion will no longer be protecting me. I will miss my boots cat more than I can say.

2 Comments:

At 10:17 AM, Blogger mary said...

oh, gina, i'm so sorry. i know how this feels. our family kitty passed away back in 2003 after 19 years with us. he had kidney failure. he did his thing, curled up in a quiet corner of the basement and fell asleep forever. i was living in VA at the time, and still when i go home to my parents' house i unconsciously listen for him to come running out or think to look for him in his hiding spots. it's never the same, but it's best for him. i'm thinking about you and ike!

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger cole edwards said...

Sweetest G and family...I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. Our favorite cat, Emma died 3 years ago and I miss her so much.

You can have Floydd to ease your pain if you want?
xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
(Random Site)