Ginapea

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Crafting family

Just when my DH is grating on every last nerve and I want to throw him out of the window, he goes and does things that make me smile and remember why I love him. To wit:

My little one has been fairly obsessed with learning to knit since this summer, when he watched Ella learn under the tutelage of her German grandma. I myself never learned, despite Kate's best efforts when I was a teenager; I just could never get it. As one of his Christmas gifts, I gave Sam a knitting kit: needles, yarn, a how-to guide for kids & the promise that we would figure it out together. I was kind of assuming I would need to take a knitting class to really start learning so that I could teach Sam.
So Sam was very excited about the knitting, and immediately wanted to learn. Problem is, with my poor mechanical ability, I can't get beyond "casting on" from the book. Of course I immediately put in a SOS call to the amazing Debbi who has cheerfully promised to assist.
Now, DH had been on the periphery of this whole process. He is not crafty and doesn't really get why Sam is so gung-ho to knit. But the next day, here comes the husband with a little bracelet he has knit for Sam. Calling upon his hardscrabble Mississippi youth that for some reason included learning macrame, DH stayed up until 4 a.m. until he figured out the basics of Knitting 101.
Sam is delighted with his new jewelry which evidently has superpowers, including the ability to shapeshift you into various animals. And I am delighted that his dad made it for him.

2 Comments:

At 9:37 AM, Blogger MamaNiger said...

That is really sweet. I can never figure knitting out either. Debbi showed me once but I didn't even get teh first row done. I did learn how to do the first row for crocheting but then I'm done the second sends me into a stupor.

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger jackie said...

That's the sweetest story ever. I'm a knitting class dropout, but I think Lucy might enjoy learning. Where'd you get the kit?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
(Random Site)